Saturday, September 2, 2017

Kasilof Beach

Today I drove down to the Kasilof Beach to do some sight seeing and beach walking. While on the way back a group of Natives came down to set net for Silver Salmon. I stopped and talked with them and learned they get a permit to set net and are allowed up to 30 fish per person. The 3 people fishing today were fishing for their grandparents who are 97 & 85 years old. They had a about 50' set net and after setting it only waited for about 10 minutes before they had a fish in the net. After a few more minutes they pulled the net in and had 2 silvers. They reset the net and after about 15 minutes pulled it in and had 4 silvers. I helped them set the net the second time and helped pull it in with the 4 fish. It was interesting to help and watch. They offered me a fillet, but I declined. I then stopped at a couple of garage sales and ended up buying a machete for $30.

No comments:

Post a Comment