Sunday, August 17, 2014

I spent last week at sewing events

Last Tuesday I took a class on making a bowl with fabric covered cotton clothesline. The technique taught was different from others I have seen, and included a flat fabric insert for the base (inside and out). It was fun to do.
I added the top band matching the base, and added the handles. I have clothesline cord to play a little more with this technique.

On Wednesday, I attended an "event" at the local sewing shop on long-arm free-motion machine quilting. They demonstrated the capabilities of two different machines: one a table-top model, where the needle is static, and you move the quilt sandwich around under the needle (most similar to using my little sewing machine); the other is a big quilting machine where you move the needle all over the quilt (or let it run on a computerized pattern by itself). I was enthralled by the machines, but they are quite expensive and take up a lot of room (the big machine takes up 10 or 12 feet - the entire space of the 5th wheel, lol). I did get to play on both machines and that was fun.

On Thursday, I went in to the local quilting guild meeting with fabric to cut to make Ken's lap quilt. I got it all cut out, and brought all the pieces home; while Ken took the boys out for exercise, I laid it out on the bed to organize each block in preparation for sewing on the serger (I like to use the serger on flannel), but neglected to snap a photo before pinning the blocks in order. I'll now have to wait until I sew it together to give you a peek at it.
Today (Aug. 19) I finished sewing Ken's quilt top:


Now, I will just have to spend time sewing and sewing and sewing. FUN for me.
Rosie

No comments:

Post a Comment